Thursday, June 16, 2011

Happy 1st Birthday, Theo Philip Chase




My sweet boy,
I sat down to write your 1st birthday post and realized that I never published our birth story. Without further delay, here is the story of how you came into this wild world.

A year ago today, I was driving into the hospital to have you. Your father and I laughed about the fact that I was driving myself and not in labor but would soon be welcoming you. That is the beauty of the scheduled c-section (one of the only perks.)

Once we arrived at the hospital, we were admitted to our pre-op room where they got me hooked up to IVs and machines while I waited to go into the operating room. This time was so different than the first with your sister. For starters, this wasn't an emergency c-section after hours of labor so I was well rested and prepared. We distracted ourselves by watching the World Cup game. I can't remember who was playing but just ask your father, he remembers everything.

By 9am I was padding down the hall to the operating room. The attending nurse was very funny, commenting that there should be music while you march yourself into surgery. In sync we both started humming the Rocky theme music. After some prep, Daddy came in to sit next to me behind the curtain.

It was quite a surreal experience, lots of surgical noises and antiseptic air. All of the doctors and nurses were great. After about 20 minutes, the doctor announced that you would be here in about 30 seconds. She pulled your head out first and proclaimed "Look at those eyelashes." Then she pulled the rest of you out and announced, "Its a boy!" Your father traveled beyond the curtain to cut the umbicial cord, much to my (and his ) surprise! They wrapped you up and put your beautiful face next to mine.


Once the surgery was over, we went to our recovery room. The following hour was wonderful. We made a couple of phone calls but mostly just enjoyed you. You breastfed for the first time with no problems. You were unnamed for a little while but we finally settled on Theo. We still think it suits you just fine.

This past year has been magical as we've gotten to know each other. You are an amazing little boy, so full of love and joy and energy, oh the energy! I love you more than you could ever fathom. To many more healthy and happy birthdays, Theo Philip.

P.S. Your father said that you came into this world with 'bad sports karma.' Just a couple of days after you arrived, the Celtics lost the NBA finals. However the Boston Bruins won the Stanley Cup last night so the curse is now reversed!

P.S.S. Here are some more posts from your 1st year of life.
1 Week
3 Weeks
5 Months
6 Months
7 Months
8 Months
9 Months
11 Months

No comments:

Post a Comment