Wednesday, November 17, 2010

First Trip to the Dentist

My child is so a product of her two occasionally anxious parents. About 2 weeks ago I started prepping her for her first visit to the dentist. We dug out The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist. I played up that her cousins went to the same dentist ("Hey, we might even see them there!"). I feigned enthusiasm over the prizes that might be available, despite her constant questioning about whether or not there would be a lollipop option. Under no uncertain terms was Beatrice falling for this "The Dentist Will Be Fun" act. She outright told me "I no gonna let the dentist touch my teep (teeth.)"

We showed up at the dentist and she was visibly upset. As I parked the car, I looked back at her in her car seat, she wiped her tear-stained cheeks and proclaimed, "I gonna be brabe (brave.)" That's my girl.

She did a great job. It totally helped that we knew the dental hygienist (she is the sister of Cory's childhood best friend-- he's known her since she was about Bea's age.) She did a great job setting Beatrice at ease. Beatrice was totally 'brabe.'

As one of her prizes, they gave her a princess toothbrush. She was jazzed. Of course, when we got home she kept begging to use it. I don't know how tooth brushing goes at your house, but here it's not always smooth sailing. I couldn't let her use the toothbrush on account of doctor's orders. No tooth brushing for one night since they put some kind of treatment on her teeth. Try explaining that to a 2 year old. Yes, I know Mama says we have to brush every night but not tonight. No, you cannot use your new toothbrush. Mixed messages much.

No comments:

Post a Comment