Monday, June 8, 2009

Cross It Off the List

5K done. Thank god. We survived. It was actually a really fun experience. The weather could not have been more perfect, the course was great (we ran all along the Charles River), the runners were really nice (a lot of novices at our end of the race), and the crowd was really supportive. I was pretty nervous because I'd never run a 5K and didn't know how I'd hold up. I've run at the track and on the treadmill but not with ease. Running outside and in a crowd was definitely much easier. I underestimated the mob mentality and element of competition. I may be slow but I won't be the slowest!


So to summarize, here's what DIDN'T happen, although I predicted it:
  • I didn't throw up
  • I didn't have to be rushed to the ER
  • I didn't finish in last place
Notable quotes of the day:
Me to Allison on the phone the morning before the run: "Ya, I'm as ready as I'll ever be. I drank a bunch of booze Friday night, had maybe 8 oz. of water yesterday. My lips are all dry and chapped. I carbed up with a huge bowl of fettuccine alfredo last night (that The Office joke never gets old). So, ya, I'm good to go."



Sister to me after the run: "Is it OK that I ran for 30 minutes with orange juice throw up bubbling in my throat. I guess you're not supposed to drink OJ before a run?"

Mom to sister on the phone after the run: "Oh honey, I'm so glad you finished. I said a prayer for you. Hopefully this will be a motivator for you to get back to the gym. I mean, you and your sister look great, but Mom's just thinking about your health." (I love my mom. That comment reminded me of my birthday last year. Moms gave me a gift certificate to Marshall's and as I thanked her she told me that she noticed they had a lot of nice workout clothes there... hint, hint. Good thing I have really high self esteem.)

Song Cory played when I got out of bed the morning of the run:
"You're the best, around
nothings gonna ever keep you down, your the best, around
nothings gonna ever keep you down, your the best, around
nothings gonna ever keep you down"
As my feet hit the hot pavement, sweat pouring off my brow, visions of Daniel LaRusso whooping ass in the final scene of Karate Kid danced through my head. I also recalled the image of walking into our wedding reception, hand in hand with my new husband. Those two images should not be juxtaposed but they will be when put your husband in charge of the wedding day playlist.

I definitely want to try and run at least one 5K every year. And they are usually for charity so I can kill two birds with one stone. And maybe, maybe one day we'll be able to take on a 10K. Baby steps...

6 comments:

  1. woo hoo! good job jul!! these posts kill me...love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that 5K more than I could do! Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! What an awesome accomplishment, Jule! KM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Great job Jul. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. those Kenyans have nothing on you Portugese Ecuadorians

    ReplyDelete