Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend Wrap Up

I, like the rest of us working stiffs, love a 3 day weekend. In my case, I made it a 4 day weekend. There were many highlights and a few lowlights.

Here are the many highlights:
  • Holding little Annabelle, Molly and Bobby's latest miracle. There's nothing better than the smell and warmth of a newly sprouted baby.
  • Making sushi with Cory, while having a couple beers. Catching up with my husband.
  • Watching Beatrice re-discover a whole collection of toys. As most parents do, we swap out her toys every couple of months. It's funny to see what she gravitates towards. This time it's an old fashioned doll (you know, the kinds we had when we were kids with those creepy, eyelashed bobbly eyes.) She hasn't put this doll down. She kisses her, washes her with a washcloth, feeds her (in her eyeballs... not sure why she doesn't aim for the mouth), and sniffs her when you ask if the baby has a poop.
  • Planting the vegetable garden.
  • Avoiding 2 torrential rain storms in Boston, then J.P. Mother nature, you will not beat us.
  • Enjoying my first ice cream cone with my daughter. I am not one to share my ice cream with anyone. She's now the exception. And of course, I forgot my camera. I'm sure there will be many more ice cream treats this summer.
  • Laughing as Beatrice went buckwild while my mom soaked her with the garden hose.
  • Smiling as the children played together. Can you tell which one doesn't much like being the 'horsie'?


Here are the few lowlights:
  • Getting stuck in traffic for 2 hours on Rt. 95. There was a major accident that required haz-mat suits and a shutdown of all but one lane. Just to add salt to the wound, my AC and radio were broken. I did have my dinky Walkman in my gym bag in the car. It got one one station--- the one station that prided itself on 9 traffic updates per hour. I was reminded of my dire situation 18 times. At least my car was kind enough to wait to purge its muffler until I pulled onto my street. My car is currently at the mechanic getting all of its insides fixed.
  • Coming home the day after planting the garden to find out from the neighbors that the rain storm in the city was actually a hail storm here. Not thinking that's too good for a newly planted garden?!? Fine, Mother Nature, you win.
  • Wincing every time Beatrice ran into garden hose water stream. My mother hadn't quite mastered her new nozzle. She was only utilizing the power wash blast mode... not really giving the mist option a try.
  • Allergies. Not mine, Cory's. Poor guy is allergic to air. This is how he mows the lawn. Just in case the neighbors weren't already talking...

How did you spend your long weekend?

1 comment:

  1. My weekend was fun. Check out my blog to see some pictures. I feel for your husband, allergies are the worst.

    ReplyDelete