Friday, February 11, 2011

Turkey Pumpkin Chili-- It's Good, I Swear!


Hello Friends. This delicious recipe came from Brenna, who got it from her sister who thinks she may have read it in Cooking Light. So I am a pumpkin lover but I've rarely explored using it in a savory way.

I made this chili last night and it was well received. It's hard to explain what the pumpkin adds-- it's certainly not an overpowering pumpkin flavor (that would be gross) but more of a mild hint and smooth texture. It sounds weird but its a great addition (and pumpkin is a low-fat, fiber-rich superfood to boot!).

Turkey Pumpkin Chili
Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 med green pepper, chopped
2 jalapenos, minced (no ribs/seeds)
2 garlic cloves
1 lb ground turkey
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 can pumpkin
1 cup water
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 can kidney beans

Directions
Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, jalapenos and garlic, stirring frequently for 5 minutes until tender. Add turkey, cook until brown. Add tomatoes with juice, pumpkin, water, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Add kidney beans, cover and stir occasionally for 30 minutes.

Don't be scared to alter the recipe too. I didn't have kidney beans, peppers, or onions so I used black beans, corn, and extra garlic. And I didn't have fresh jalapenos so I used some jarred jalapeno rings instead. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment