Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Monthly Give- June 2010

June's monthly give is coming a bit early. It is actually the brainchild of my lovely sister, Isabel. She and my mother hosted a wonderful surprise get together for me to celebrate the upcoming arrival of Baby #2. I was totally caught off guard. I've been told I'm really easy to surprise (or clueless as my kind husband commented.)

It was the sweetest afternoon, spent relaxing with family. They made all my favorite foods and my sister made the cutest little favors (baby powder scented organic soy candles in baby food jars.)

The best part of the day was that my sister asked everyone, in lieu of gifts, to bring a donation for Room to Grow. Here's some info from their website:
Room to Grow's program provides parents raising babies in poverty with one-on-one parenting support and essential baby items throughout their children's critical first three years of life. Parents expecting a baby are referred to Room to Grow by selected prenatal programs assisting low-income families. Upon their referral, parents visit Room to Grow's warm and inviting space once every three months from just before the birth of the baby until their child turns three. During their one-on-one appointments with our staff social workers, typically lasting two hours, parents receive developmental information, customized support, and all of the needed baby items to ensure a healthy and secure start for their child.
It was so special to me that people donated items in this baby's name to such a great organization. Everyone was so generous! (And some out of towners even made monetary donations.) I am so lucky to be surrounded by such charitable loved ones.

It warms my heart to think that this baby is coming into the world engulfed in a spirit of giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment