Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Monthly Give- August/September 2009


For this month's give, we sponsored 3 kids for back to school. Thanks so very much to those of you who participated.

As I was gathering all of the items, I started to think about these kids ages 16, 14, and 11. They're old enough to understand their harsh circumstances. Back to school supplies are probably not high on the list of priorities for whomever they live with. They shouldn't be worrying about backpacks and pencils. They should be focused on enjoying the last days of summer and reuniting with old friends and meeting new teachers. God willing, our children will never have to worry about how to afford pens or calculators. And all our kids did to deserve this was have the luck of being born into financially sound families. This seems wholly unjust.

I've been thinking about kids and the unfair lot some are given in life. Maybe it's because I am obsessed with the PS22 story or because Season 4 of The Wire deals with the poor kids of Baltimore. I feel like I should be doing something to help these kids. I just don't know what that something is. It saddens me to think that we live in the richest country in the world but we fail our children every day.

I am having trouble putting my thoughts out there on this topic. Everything I type sounds preachy or sappy. The long and short of is that there are kids out there that need help but I don't know how to help them. Even that line sounds empty and doesn't truly capture what I'm feeling or thinking but it will have to do.

1 comment:

  1. you are helping them....very few people even think about the fact that there are kids out there who need school supplies. Your monthly give is a step in the right direction! How's that for preachy and sappy?

    ReplyDelete