Monday, April 23, 2012

I Live To Tell the Tale

I survived yesterday's Off-Road Duathlon. I can safely safe I will NEVER do one of those again. You know sometimes when you complete a race or childbirth or something way out of your comfort zone, you get that euphoric feeling where you think "I could totally do that again." My exact words crossing the finish line were "Never fucking again."

At least the weather cooperated. It was drizzly but the trails were dry. But I think the original forecast scared off the novices like myself. The race was mostly made up of hard core racers with crazy nice bikes and full spandex suits. I will never be part of that club.
My primary goals for this race were to 1) Finish 2) Not injure anyone 3) Not injure myself
I did what I set out to accomplish.

So this shit was truly OFF ROAD. According to the website and the coordinators, it was a pretty easy course. Um, there were a shit ton of rocks and at least 4 places you had to walk your bike because it was so treacherous. Really the worst part was that you had to do the loop a total of 6 times. So you knew what you were in for. I would have much rather not known what was ahead.

A couple of highlights: Setting my bike up in the coral, I knocked over the guy next to me's bike. 5 minutes later while stretching I back kicked it over again. He didn't like me. I don't feel too bad though because my friend, Jenn, knocked over a whole coral of bikes later on. Then at one point in the bike, after a succession of "On your lefts" I just tipped over to the right to avoid the onslaught of crazy's and a huge fucking boulder. It was a soft landing.

Anyhow, I finished it. I wasn't the last one to cross the finish line. Whatever if the person behind me was a 12 year old kid. Don't judge. And I did beat the 2 hour limit by about 40 minutes.

At least today's CrossFit workout (in the pouring rain) won't be too challenging:
Del
25 Burpees
400 m run with a (20,14) pound medicine ball.
25 Weighted pull-ups with a (20,15) pound dumbbell
400m run with a (20,14) pound medicine ball
25 Handstand push-ups
400 m run with a (20,14) pound medicine ball
25 Chest-to-bar pull-ups
400 m run with a (20,14) pound medicine ball
25 Burpees

No comments:

Post a Comment