1 large sweet red pepper(s), finely diced, divided
1 medium scallion, trimmed and minced
1 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, minced
14 1/2 oz canned salmon, drained
1 stalk (small) celery, finely chopped
1 medium shallot, minced
1 large egg (I'll use egg whites or egg substitute)
2 Tbsp fat-free mayonnaise (I'll use plain nonfat Greek yogurt)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or ancho chili powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp table salt
- Place salmon in large mixing bowl and mash with back of a spoon. (It is not necessary to pick out the bones.)
- Stir in remaining scallion, red pepper, celery, shallot, egg, mayonnaise, cilantro, cayenne pepper, 1/4 tsp of black pepper and 1/8 tsp of salt; mix well.
- Refrigerate for about 10 minutes.
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray; heat skillet over medium heat.
- Loosely pack a 1/4-cup measuring cup with salmon mixture; turn measuring cup ingredients out onto skillet and press down on salmon cake with a spatula until it is about 3/4-inch thick; repeat to make 8 salmon cakes total.
- Cook salmon cakes for 3 minutes on first side; gently turn over and cook until golden on second side, about 2 to 3 minutes more. (Be careful not to crowd salmon cakes; cook in 2 batches if necessary.)
Yields 4 servings (2 salmon cakes/serving. )