Wednesday, September 30, 2009

People and Places

I kind of covered most of the bases in the last vacation recap email but I realize that I need a post dedicated entirely to the characters, coincidences, and other crap we encountered.

On our ferry ride over to St. John from St. Thomas, there was a nice Asian couple parked next to us. We got to talking to them and soon found out they were from China, by way of Ohio. My office is based in Ohio so I threw out the name of the obscure town and wouldn't you know it, they live there. We saw them a couple more times in St. John and I swear Beatrice called the woman, Kai-lan, after the character in her favorite show. We may need to enroll her in some diversity training.
One afternoon we took a ride to the other side of the island. After a failed attempt to drive to a secluded beach down a jagged dirt road (this involved much screaming on my part about flat tires and being irresponsible parents and Cory telling me to calm down and relax. Jess D.- I told him I would not be going muddin' with my baby girl in the back!), we ended up at this 'bar'. Before we sat down, one of the regulars asked where we were from and as always, we got into the age-old, "Oh, I'm from the Boston area too." This guy was quite a character, real rough around the edges. And I'm not judging a book by its cover, he offered up this gem of a story when I inquired about how he ended up moving to St. John from Braintree, MA. Turns out his odyssey started 14 years ago when he 'pissed bad' while on parole. So he boarded a plane that night. He also shared that he has 4 sons aged 4 to 32. He also sang The Cars, My Best Friend's Girl, about 10 times and told us that was the best concert he'd ever gone to. If I wasn't a married lady...

While at that same roadside spot, another woman overhead that we were from Ashland and that sparked a conversation about one of the local shop keepers being from Ashland. Later that week, we stopped by the store, St. John Spice. Ruth, the owner, was there we got to talking. Turns out she has a house around the corner from us and knows my brother's landlord (my brother is now renting an apartment down the street from us.) She also used to work at our favorite local restaurant/pub. All roads lead back to Trashland.

For those of you that have been to St. John or really any island or remote area, you know how insane the driving can be. It's a total free for all and oh ya, they drive on the Left (Left is Right.) We were in town for the construction of and first day of the traffic in their new Rotary. I could have spent all day watching this shit show. Luckily, being MassHoles, we know our way around a rotary (pun intended.)

Beatrice learned a lot of new words on vacation- boat, car, truck, house, towel, fish. Well actually she thinks she's saying fish but it sounds like something else entirely. Take a look at the video. Next time you see her, ask her if she had fish for dinner.

By far, the weirdest thing that occurred during our trip had to do with Beatrice. One of the first days of vacation, we were at a bar and I noticed a couple of people looking over at Beatrice and kinda motioning to another couple to look our way. I didn't really think anything of it. Later on, as we were leaving they commented that she looked just like their friend's daughter that lived in St. John. The next day, Cory was walking with Bea and a lady smiled at them and asked him if he was the uncle. Cory gave her a perplexed look and she took a closer look, then apologized as she had mistaken Beatrice for her friend, Jay's baby. So this happens a couple more times. Another evening, we're coming off the ferry from St. John to St. Thomas (we'd gone over for dinner and the poor man's sunset cruise) and I noticed an older gentleman giving us side-long glances. I smile and he comments that Beatrice looks just like his friend's baby. I ask, "Is your friend's name Jay by any chance?" Of course it is. This guy talks our ear off about how Jay is bi-racial and was married to a blond haired German woman and tells us where Jay works. Later that night, as we walk by the place where said Jay works, I ask the bartender if Jay's working. He wasn't working that night but would be in for the breakfast shift in a couple days. I give the bartender the background so he didn't think I was some kind of stalker. He commented, along with the rest of the patrons, that Beatrice looked just like that little girl. A couple of days later we went back to that bar/restaurant but Jay was not there. Then finally before we left, Cory was walking by with Beatrice and upon noticing that they were broadcasting the football games, they promptly stopped. The bartender from the other night motions to Cory to come in- Jay had been in all day with his daughter and had just left. The bartender goes out the back to try and stop them before they leave. Unfortunately he came back empty-handed, they had just driven off on their way to Hawknest Beach. Coincidentally, we had just come back from a full day at Hawksnest. Too funny... maybe we'll run into them next time. I've heard everyone has a bizarro twin in the world. Mine supposedly was at UMass Amherst. One time, years after all my friends spotted her there, a guy on the commuter rail asked me if I graduated from UMass in 2001. He was totally referencing my bizarro twin.

I love the name of this ferry.
My final tidbit has to do with our major celebrity spotting. On the way home, we traveled all the way from St. Thomas to Boston with this cat. Best part is that he acts totally like his character from KoQ. Beatrice was being all flirty with him and his friend (some guy that was evidently on American Idol- he was pretty generic, white, guitar-playing guy so I didn't even bother looking him up.) Beatrice was also obsessed with that guy's girlfriend, even giving her a couple of stickers. I overhead Gary comparing Beatrice's little coquettish ways to his niece. He showed his friends a video on his iPhone of her being all flirty. OMG, was he comparing my baby girl to his famous brother's baby. This may be my proudest mothering moment.

The rest of the vacation photos are here.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny, i took an elevator ride with kevin james in las vegas.

    (above post removed due to typo)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah right Ryan, you know you posted something totally inappropriate then got cold feet

    ReplyDelete
  4. the Kai-Lan comment is so totally something Addie will do in a few short months. She is in love with that show too. As for KJ- didn't know his cuz on KoQ was his real life brother. Interesting tid bit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big Mami, the jerk store called and they ran out of Izzy's.

    ReplyDelete