Monday, May 4, 2009

The Monthly Give- May 2009

Last night I baked cookies for the Salvation Army Miracle Kitchen. I dropped them off this morning on my way across town to a doctor's appointment. It wasn't my usual drop off time so I didn't recognize the elderly woman at the front desk. She accepted the box of cookies, asking me what bakery I was from. (Bakeries, restaurants and grocery stores often donate food.) I told her "Oh, no bakery. I made the cookies last night." She thanked me profusely, then reached across the counter, hugged me tightly, and planted a big red kiss on my cheek.

I was so moved by this woman's physical display of gratitude. People don't do that anymore... touch each other. We vehemently guard our personal space, keeping others at least 10 feet away. This woman's gesture didn't feel obtrusive or invasive. It felt tender and kind.

The warm and fuzzy feeling stuck with me all the way to my doctor's appointment. I walked up to the check-in desk where the receptionist greeted me, then whispered "You have lipstick on your cheek." Smile.

2 comments:

  1. it could be the hormones, but that made me a little weepy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm not gonna lie... i got misty. i didn't want to be too sappy in the post, but i definitely got teary-eyed.

    ReplyDelete